Tuesday, May 28, 2002

K l e z Computer Worm - It is not me!

Today I finally received my fist K l e z infected email. (I actually received three altogether.) Although this particular computer worm was discovered on April 17th, I didn't receive an infected email until today. Because I am using Norton Anti-Virus, I was not infected, and no harm was done.



However, the most disturbing thing was that I received an email notification that I had sent an infected email to someone else. This is the nasty new twist with this worm - it grabs email addresses at random, and them uses those addresses as fake sender email addresses. So, even though I actually never sent anyone an infected email (Norton Anti-Virus scans all of my outgoing email as an extra security precaution), it appears that an infected email came from me, simply because my email address was in someone else's address book.



The important thing to remember about the K l e z worm, is that the sender's address of an infected email you received is not the actual source of the infection. It is simply an email address randomly gathered from the address book of an infected computer by the worm.

No comments: