Tuesday, February 26, 2002

Steve Gibson Attacked/New Windows Utility

Just got the latest email update from Steve Gibson. His web site experienced a new, potentially more dangerous, type of Denial of Service attack, which he calls a Distributed Reflection Denial of Service Attack. Good technical read on how this attack works. His site might be slow if it is being attacked again.

Also he has a new free Windows utility, Wizmo, which is pretty cool. I use it together with WinKey to create a keystroke combination that mutes the audio when the phone rings or my wife comes into the office. Since normally I am listening to KQED-FM through my tuner card while I am using my computer, this is quite handy.

WinKey by itself is pretty powerful utility. It allows a user to assign a command to combinations of the Windows key (the key with the Windows Logo on it at the bottom of most PC keyboards) and another key. I find I am using it more and more.

No comments: